Saturday 17 December 2016

Jo's Advent Calendar - Day 17

As every year, the amazing Jo is hosting an amazing advent calendar, and as always I have to be a part of it! I got lucky and got assigned a date on the weekend, because during the week I'm terribly busy lately and would have been hard pressed to get the post out on time!

I haven't done a ton of Christmas stitching so far, and I'm showing Angel of Frost around all the time, so this time I'll pick the other one I did - Peter Polar Bear, stitched for an ornament exchange a few years ago ^_^


Now Jo has asked us to write about our favourite ornaments, the ones that are/or have some kind of history attached to them. Felix and I don't have a lot in terms of Christmas decoration yet...I know traditions differ, but in Germany (or among the people I know here, at least) it's common to only put the tree up on Christmas day (or maybe the day before), and it's only out until January 6th (although some people do middle of February). And since we spend the 24th with my grandparents and then visit Felix' parents until New Years Eve, there's not much sense in putting up a tree we will never really see. This will probably change once we have children of our own, but for now, I'll be telling you about a few of my grandma's ornaments - the ones I grew up with and love deeply :D


The left of these glass birds was a gift my mum got for my grandma many years ago, when she was still a child. The one of the right I got for her when I was a child, kind of to continue the tradition.


 These two birds don't have any special history, I just really like them because the are really pretty. They are also super heavy, so it's not really easy to find a good place for them on the tree.


 When I was a kid, grandma would always do some crafts for me every year to make Christmas presents for all the relatives and friends I wanted to give something to. One of my favourites were these ornaments, made from half a walnut shell, a wooden bead and some fabric and really pretty ribbon.


Those are some of the first ornaments my grandma bought when she and grandpa were newlyweds. They are made from painted wax, but I think they still look very pretty!

11 comments:

Elfie said...

I do envy you your grandparents' ornaments - how wonderful to have them. And so nice that they are treasured. Thank you for sharing your Christmas story. Merry Christmas!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Thanks for taking part in the Advent Calendar Blog Hop this year. Love the BB Advent Animal, most appropriate for the hop!
The glass Bird are beautiful, maybe you should have a tree just full of Bird ornies? You could put that one up earlier than the official Christmas tree!

Bea said...

Your polar bear looks very happy - must be all that cocoa - and cute. Beautiful ornaments, how lovely to have ones with such family history.

deb said...

The polar bear ornament is wonderful - he looks like he's having so much fun! Thank you for sharing your beautiful bird ornaments, and the lovely ones that belonged to your grandparents.

Justine said...

What beautiful ornaments! It's interesting to read about Christmas traditions.

Julie said...

Lovely ornaments you have shown for the blog hop

Ariadne said...

I love your birds!My parents used to have something similar! I also have a walnut little ornament made from my Austrian friend.AriadnefromGreece!

Suzanne H said...

The birds are stunning. Thanks for sharing all your ornaments.

Melinda Forbes said...

Thank you so much for sharing your special Christmas Memories with us. Love your Peter Polar too.

Brigitte said...

Wie immer hinke ich mit meinen Kommentaren hinterher. Einen schönen Post hast du zusammengestellt für Jos blog hop. Du hast recht, das mit dem Baum ändert sich, wenn man eigene Kinder hat :)

Heather said...

Great choices :) I couldn't imagine trying to keep those wax ornaments intact. Mine would have been destroyed long ago