Thursday 24 March 2016

March WIPocalypse

My friend Carla reminded me that it's time for the WIPocalypse checkin as well, and since I have some posting to do anyways, let's do that! The question of the month is: Do you use hoops, stretcher bars, lap stands or Q snap frames and why?

When I first started stitching, I used those classic wooden hoops, and since I didn't know there was anything else, I was content with those. Then I had my revelation of just HOW MUCH there is out there for stitchers, and I've done some experimenting. On a WIP on dA I saw someone using a Qsnap, and since that concept really appealed to me, I ordered my first one online, and stitching never was the same again! I really like those, how easy it is to attach and reattach them, the way they hold the tension, how they don't leave those dreaded hoop-marks (they do flatten the stitches a bit - that's usually fixed by washing, but especially when you can' or don't want to wash your project, it's best to put some fabric or a tissue between the stitched area and the snappy-part. Or you put the snap on upside down, so the back of your stitching is squished instead), and how thei are rectangular in shape, which makes stitching close to the edge of the fabric much, much easier. By now I have four of them in two different sizes and I still love using them.
When I started my first bigger project that involved heavy beading about two years ago, I got myself a set of scroll bars to use, but I was really disappointed in those. I just couldn't get then tension I was used to, and my stitched would lay right because of that. I've put them in the corner and haven't used them since, although there are projects for which is wish I was able to properly use those, they do have their advantages after all.
My friend Carla swears on the no-slip hoops they sell at Micheal's, so when my best friend went to Florida last August I asked her to get some of those for me, which she did. So now I am the proud owner of a set of four (or five? I keep forgetting) of these colourful hoops and the really are amazing - easier to attach than the wooden ones, hardly leaving marks and keeping a real nice tension. I still love my qsnaps, but these are a close second and I wish there was an easier way to get them here :)

Now, let's see what I've been up to since my GG post...as promised, I worked quite a bit on the new Baby Jacket and finally finished it yesterday, the finish-finishing always takes a while since I *so* don't like it. But here it is, and it will be given to the new-grandma friend of ours later today.





I also worked some more on Link for the Gamer's Delight contest. Here is is head all done, next are his sword and shield, then the rest of his body. I still really enjoy working on him :)


And last but not least, I finished the next column of Kitsune. There's the tip of her second tail now, so it's really starting to get interesting.

So that's where I'm at today - I'm also on the first day of a glorious seven days off work, with now big plans but relaxing and a bit of cleaning, so hopefully I'll get quite a bit done by the end of it :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Kitsune is going to be adorable! You can tell from that little tail (^_^). I've yet to try the scroll. I am a complete no-slip hoop lover. Always love the tension and the round space works for me. I like the Q-snap tension, but it tends to slip for me. I also can get my hands around the square properly. It's too wide for me or something lol. My hands don't like it.

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

Great work on your WIPs this month.
I'm glad you've found out what works for you. I'm a true "in-hand" stitcher, they are free and always there!

ANGIE said...

Hi Leonore, it's so wonderful WIPs! Happy stitching!

Renee said...

Wonderful stitching!

Suz said...

Nice progress on your WIPs, and I'm looking for more progress on Kitsune :) I think that one is going to be especially stunning :D

Tiffstitch said...

Nice work on everything and great finish on the baby jacket! I love that Link as well.

Brigitte said...

Schöner F>fortschritt bei deinen Projekten. Und wie schön das kleine Babyjäckchen geworden ist. Immer wenn ich solche Sachen sehe, würde ich gerne wieder stricken, oder häkeln, aber das bekomme ich zeitlich einfach nicht auf die Reihe. Außerdem juckt mich das Sticken einfach zu sehr.
Ich sticke nur in der Hand, ganz ohne Rahmen oder Q-Snaps. Zuerst dachte ich, man muss mit sowas sticken, aber es war mir einfach zu umständlich, immer war der Rahmen im Weg. Also hab ich es wieder gelassen. Klar, satin stitches werden nicht so schön, aber das stört mich weniger als ein Rahmen, lol.

Kaisievic said...

Great post, my dear - I prefer free hand, just so easy - wonderful WIPs and a very sweet baby jacket finish.