Friday 13 March 2015

March WIPocalypse - Catching up...

It seems like no matter how hard I try, I always end up far behind on my SAL sign ins and stuff...and now I haven't posted at all in almost two weeks! We had company over the one weekend, then I had a three day business trip, some work in the apartment the following weekend and I've been sick most fo this week (also I only stayed home yesterday and today and I'm feeling much better already, only a bit weak still), and on top of that I could hardly find the time, yet alone the motivation, to get posting - sorry, everyone!
No in order to not fracture my motivation further with 'over posting', I'll probably be doing a few posts back-to-back over the following days, starting with WIPocalypse. I'll decide on the fly when to leave something out in one post and include it in another one, but in a few days everything and everyone should be up to date again *crosses fingers*.

Let's start with the monthly question for WIPocalypse: If money – and time – were not limiters, what projects would be on your stitching bucket list?

That's a tricky question - it makes me think about all the things I want to stitch and can't actually because of the limiters mentioned above, which is bound to make me frustrated, so I won't get into it too much. If money wasn't an issue, I would probably start a Chatelaine mandala right away - I plan to do so, but I'm a bit intimidated by the speciality stitches and everything, so I'll practice a bit more as to not waste any of the precious material in those mandalas. One thing that might be a bit of a life time project but that I actually atempt to accomplish is stitching all of the Thomas Kinkade Disney Dreams kits.

Now for the actual stitching: For my trip, I took to small project's with me: One being Rodent Bonn, the last of the RTO Guinea Pigs, which I finished all in one day (mostly during the eight hour train ride). he's really cute, but a little more red than on the cover picture. I also revived my Game of Thrones bookmarks and stitched a bit on Arryn; filled in a few lines of both white and blue so that's one piece save from becoming an UFO. On the downside, I had to pull out a bit of the Tully bookmark I had already finished - I ran out of the red just ~20 stitches before being done and used another skein to fill in, but the dye lots didn't match, and only now did I notice by how much. I think I have yet another skein somewhere, I'll check to see if that one fits better.




Of course I also worked on DF and finished my obligatory next column. And then I couldn't resist any longer and started the Lizzie*Kate design Felix got me for christmas; the Things Unseen Mystery Sampler (although technically it's no longer a secret since all parts have been released now). And I do love it so much - I love all my projects of course, but stitching on hand dyed linen with overdyed threads is somethings else, and the design itself is so awesome as well! It's my first time stitching something even remotly sampler like, but I think I might be ready for more of the sort. This one, I will safe and enjoy and only stitch in small bits, so I'll pack it away for now.


I actually worked on a few more things as well, but I will save those for future posts so you all still have a reason to come back and read them, and launch right into what-else-did-Leonore-do instead:

I did finish a proper game for once (and by proper, I mean RPG :D): Sorcery Saga: Curse of the Great Curry God is a roguelike Dungeoncrawler in which you assume the role of Pupuru, a student at the mage academy who aspires t create the ultimate curry dish and sets of to fins the ultimate ingredients. Sounds a bit crazy, and, in fact, it is - not just the plot, but most of the characters at well, it very much a cliche japanese game, and also has quite some grinding in the end, but I really enjoyed it and am proud to have finished a rpg again for once :)

As for watching, oh boy, quite a lot has happend, remember, it's been almost two weeks:
  • More Big Bang Theory, we finished S5 (E6-24) and started S6 (E1-3).
  • More Supernatural: Finished S2 (E8-16, a short season) and started S4 (E1-3)...feels like things are starting to get reeeeally serious now
  • Haven S4, E5-10 - had to make use of the fact that I was alone with the TV those two sicks days :D
  • Top Gun - another one of those 'classics' I had never seen. The movie was decent, but I don't care much for Tom Cruise, somehow even less for the young one
  • Patch Adams - I do love Robin Williams and the movie was great at parts, but others seemed strange and didn't really 'fit' - did a bit of reading afterwards and learned that the real Patch Adams wasn't too pleased with the movie, and I'm not suprised, sadly.
  • Dirty Dancing - Yet another classic, and Felix insisted that I need to watch this one because he adores it - maybe a bit strange for a guy, but I agree, it's a great movie, and I so envy them for being able to pull of that dance routine, I'd fall miserably and break some bones three steps in
  • After Earth - I kind of liked the trailer to that one so we watched when it showed up on amazon prime. Do not recommend though, it was strange ans akward and illogical at best...also, Jaden Smith, why are you trying to be an actor?
  • Beasts of the Southern Wild - This one was recommended to as as being totally awesome, but while Hushpuppy surely was cute and the scenery amazing, sadly it's also one of those movies that leave me asking 'What exactly are you trying to tell me?'
  • Despicable Me 2 - Nothing to critize on that one, it might be one of the best animated sequels I've seen so far - funny and charming and d'awwing, and also, minions! :D
So that's it for now, stay tuned for more posts coming up either tomorrow or sunday or most possibly both...



4 comments:

Linda said...

Glad your back Leonore. I think the red bookmark looks just fine. I can't see any difference in the colors. Love all your finishes and nice progress and new start.

Linda

Anonymous said...

I had to look up Chatelaine mandala and...omg. I'll have to look into it more, but they're really beautiful designs. What are some of the specialty stitches that worry you a little?

Leonore Winterer said...

I don't really know what they are called, but she has those special stitches that make up flowers, for example, that I've never done before...and then you are to do them will all kinds of special threads, like silks, too!

Leonore Winterer said...

Thanks Linda :) In the picture of the bookmark I already ripped out the offending part, so it's all from the same skein now.