Donnerstag, 23. Januar 2014

How needlework is saving my studies...

...or, put less dramatically, keeping me awake. You see, I have this...let's call it condition for the lack of a better word (I blame it on my abyssmal low blood pressure) that when I just have to sit and listen and don't actually DO something, I kind of dooze away. I can't do anything against it, as much as I try, and I can assure you, it's neither that I'm just tired (as it happens at all times of the day and after 8 hours sleep just as much as after 6) nor that what I'm listening to ist boring - I regularyly drift off in the cinema once popcorn and such have run out, and I even missed some talking in the musical we went to see last year (thankfully, the songs were loud enough to bring me back, woud be a shame to miss something one paid that much for!).

As you can probably guess, it's especially frustrating during lectures - most of our profs do those with power point presentations, and those are way to fast to take good notes, so I usually missed a good part of them. I tried several ways to keep my hands busy in order to stay concious, but most of them just involved to much thinking and I still missed most of the lecture. Until Felix had the great idea to just take my needlework with me - not stitching, that's not portable enough and involves to much counting to be done 'on the side', but crocheting seems just right.

So over the last two weeks I tried that out - printed a pattern, grabbed my hook and a ball of yarn, and stashed them in my backpack - and it works! Why didn't we think of this ealier, it would have saved me a lot of hassle and revising in previous terms. So over the course of three lectures (which is about 4-5 hours, plus a little finishing at home) I crocheted a 'Pop Heart'.

This still involved quite a lot of counting, which lead either massive frogging (I just learned that word - I like it) or missing parts of the lecture again, but still, it's so much better than before, because now I am in control when I'll just keep crocheting or when I'll put the needle down to just fully focus for a few minutes.

I already got my next project planned and actually started yesterday, though I'm not telling yet - still have to see how it works out. Two hints though - a) it involves next to no counting, which makes it ideal for working in the lectures, and b), it's actually useful for once - as much as I love Amigurumi, most of the time I don't know what to actually do with them, so now I'm trying to focus on making at least my crotcheting (and hopefully knitting, if I manage to learn that again - knitting and I, we have a history, but that's a story for an other post) on making stuff that has actually a purpose. I might talk about that some more later, but I don't want to rob myself of a chance for a small blog post some time I don't have actuall progress to show, now do I? For now, I'm off to university. And crocheting.

Kommentare:

  1. While not quite as seriously as you, I too needed to do something with my hands during lectures. I have binders full of very elaborate doodles, I even kept some of them.. That's a very cute heart and I can't wait to see what your new project is.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. It's good to know I'm not alone with the problem ^_^ Doodeling would have been an option too, but given the choice, I always prefer something more productive ^.~

      Löschen
  2. Secret keeper!!!! How can we make you share?

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Don't worry, it propably won't take long anyway :D

      Löschen
  3. That's super awesome!! School and hobby at the same time!! Now, if I can only figure out how to work and stitch hehehe.

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Well it depends on what your work it, but you can always claim it helps you think faster xD

      Löschen